Vicodin Earrings

February 20, 2009

When I had knee surgery I was prescribed Vicodin, but soon found out that it makes me very ill, so I couldn’t take it. I’m trying to use it in my art, and my first try is these tablet earrings. I’m going to either coat them in shellac or resin so that they don’t crumble; they’re very chalky and fragile. I wore nitrile gloves and a dust mask while drilling through and constructing them.

Comments (13) | More: Blog, Projects

13 Responses to “Vicodin Earrings”

1. SouthPaw says:

Where are you going to wear them. In most places you will get mugged in 20 min.

2. sam11572 says:

Just make sure the never get dropped or lost. Kids love to eat things and parents love to sue.

3. justin says:

would it be legal to sell the earring form?

4. Ian says:

Concerns be damned; you’d literally be a knockout in them! …literally.

5. papagun says:

I suppose you wear them yourself if the med was prescribed for you. However, several laws are broken if you give them away, sell them, or get them from someone else and wear them.

In any event what’s the point? It’s a pill with a hole in it.

6. Todd Bradley says:

This is a handy way to carry around an emergency supply of powerful painkillers.

7. You should call ‘em “earaches”. For a while I was on a kick making earrings out of cereal and candy. I used a 2 part resin that I got at the hardware store to coat them. That seemed to work best. Coating with shellac and other water-based things tended to dissolve them. very cool.

8. Karin says:

These are hysterical – I love ‘em! I can’t think of a better use for killer pain killers!! and I love a mind that won’t let anything go to waste :)

9. Becky Stern says:

[...] go with my Vicodin earrings, here’s a ring with a bezel-set pill instead of a stone. Sterling Silver. Vicodin Ring | [...]

10. amandaw says:

anybody who asks “what’s the point?” in response to art needs a primer in what art is.

i’m curious as to how you got the holes in the pills without them breaking? very interesting, very simple, hard to miss ;)

11. Göran says:

Cool! Must be a sure way to pick up Gregory House, I guess. (:

12. Love ‘em! just the kinda weird and wonderful style of earrings I’m looking for. How easy was the drilling? Love all the comments concerning themselves with the legalities – people, its fashion – anything goes!!!

13. JA says:

Is ‘Papagun’ really serious when he says, “In any event what’s the point? It’s a pill with a hole in it.” ?

Wow, I cannot believe in this day and age that someone can be so ignorant of what art is. ‘Amandaw’ is right, Papagun, you really do need a primer in art is. (Do you also need us to define what a “primer” is for you?)

Becky Stern, this is a very ingenious, creative and excellent piece of art. Keep up the good work! As a fellow artist, I’d like to see more artwork in this style, and highlighting our generation’s addictions.