I created the “Felt Owl Brooch” that I found through the Craft Blog. The instructions were great! I really only have a few comments on how this tutorial could be even better…
1. The pattern is hand-drawn and it really would be better if it had been done in Illustrator or something like it. I only say this because the owl is asymmetrical.
2. The designer recommended felt material but she didn’t say why. I found out (because I used cotton) that the reason for using felt is because felt doesn’t move, it “sticks” to itself. The cotton I used frayed a bit around the edges (which I don’t have a problem with) and it continued to move while I sewed… which got annoying.
3. The eyes were so difficult to cut… so I used buttons. She gave a good suggestion (cut a small square and trim the edges) and maybe it would have worked with felt, but it was impossible to do with cotton.
Things I liked about her instruction set:
1. Great pictures and corresponding text!
2. Even though I would have liked a symmetrical owl pattern, I really appreciate that she made a pattern for me to print out and follow.
3. The varied owls near the bottom of her post using different colors – they each have their own personality which is fun
(I apologize for my not-so-spectacular images… my camera died and it’s in the process of getting fixed. I’m not going to get it back until late next month… I’ll need to figure something else out between now and then.)